Soooo… I’ve been developing a fantasy (but not limited to fantasy) board game that I decided that I would like to share the progress (plus I need help make temporary paper-craft buildings to represent real in-game-piece buildings… More about that later)!
Right now am calling it Epic Fantasy: Lordships. EF:L is a multiplayer tile-based chess-like game where the goal is to capture OR kill (still working on THAT part…) your Fantasy Lord opponent. (In this game, players are considered Fantasy Lords.) There’s not so many stats, such as the common but not in-game HP, Stamina, or etc., but there is Movement/Movement Per Square (MPS) (tile-based), and attack-range for ranged units.
Also, the game in turned based (can move all units) and as of now if it is not your turn you look away from the game boards – this gives it more realisticism, like reports from scouts, but mainly this is for hiding units behind 3 inch tall trees, etc.
Here is a sample of the neater types of units:
- Wereworld Infector – MPS 3. Cannot attack, but infects enemy unit to make them turn sides (to the werewolf’s side)
There is also building/structure creation/placing (WIP), such as Archery Towers, Wooden Walls, Wooden Bridges, etc.
The main type of tiles are air (air units only), water (water and air units only), and land (all units). Secondary tiles are mud (slows land units down), and later I plan on lava (air units only) and acid (air units only). If you make the wrong type of unit go onto/into ones of these tiles, you would then have killed him/her/it.
Also, there will be looting…
Also, units can mount other units (such as Mothmen (air) mounting horses)
Here’s some really rough WIP stuff:
- Taming System – Taming creatures that are tameable goes under a progress. Most of the time, you just need a tamer to tame it (such as a horse), but sometimes (for like training a Hydra) you need to undergo a system of training and taming.
- Material Collecting/Farming System – materials are needed to create structures. Right now I have very basic things (which I have not tested out yet), such as from rocks you get stone, trees you get logs, etc. It will not be very advanced system; the main point of the game is fighting it out with wits and units.
- Space System – Yay… This would definitely be an expansion pack. Landing Pads are needed for spaceship/spacecraft to go from the world and into space and vice-verse. This is where your asteroid mining and alien fighting come in…
- Underground Level System – Ok, I know. Am starting a craze of units going in space, on land, and underground, but hey, someone’s got to have that in a board game! Here’s the level where you start your mining craze!
- Quest System – Hey, if the games gonna take 12 hours, add more depth, right? By placing different props at the start or in the middle of the game (if you can create it in-game), you unlock different quests that can yield great rewards! Hydras! Spaceships! GOLD!!! Units! MORE!!!
It is suggested that the players player with multiple boards; the more boards the more strategy and longer play time ( 2 or 3 boards can last around 2-4 hours… I know this from experience. That’s without the level system… And collecting systems, and tons of other things + we were playing with like -24 units!).
Also, I just want to note that this game would be perfect for championships… So many possibilities! Dwarfs in space! Robots against Dragons! Modern against Fantasy! Aliens against… Jumping beans? (MAYBE…)
If you want to help me with the final game and the mock-ups I need/that would help:
- Paper-craft buildings
- Game Testers (Soon, not ready yet…)
- Ideas (Units, materials, structures, etc.)
Am about to start writing drafts for the game – will post when a good version comes out!
So thanks for reading this craze of board game design that am working on!
Just watch out the Eating Trees (really – I do not want any more events of the said)!